All set to Lose Your Glasses? Ten tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medication. Never before have a lot of scientific breakthroughs and new strategies emerged in such a short period of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides countless individuals the opportunity to minimize or eliminate their need for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the quick and pain-free method to correct vision, however stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Before you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to assist make sure that you will more than happy with your results?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medication is an informed client. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't special info be tricked by expensive advertisements about a particular laser. Choose the medical professional, not the laser.
3. Choose a physician who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a physician does not understand can hurt you.
4. Request info on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgery issue rates. If your doctor won't tell you, find another one. For top surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask exactly what measures are required to prevent infection. Try to find a center with a dust-free or sterilized operating room. Make sure that non reusable parts are not recycled. Insist that your eye is completely sanitized, and insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated prior to your eye laser surgery to remove the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Beware of advertisements pushing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgery is as great as a discount rate parachute.
Expect to see very well after LASIK, however don't expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as private as each patient. Beware of any doctor who guarantees 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you probably are. You're not buying a automobile; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably use better vision than LASIK. Ask your medical professional about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, don't forget the advantages: for most individuals, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has improved the eyesight of countless individuals around the world.