Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? 10 pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest progressing fields of medication. Never before have so many new strategies and clinical developments emerged in such a brief time period. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, uses countless individuals the opportunity to reduce or remove their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the pain-free and fast method to fix vision, but stories are likewise appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will be delighted with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide study by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting recommendations from other physicians or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be fooled by elegant advertisements about a particular laser. Select the medical professional, not the laser. Learn who will in fact do your procedure, then ask about that medical professional's certifications (e.g., board accreditation, special training).
3. Choose a doctor who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a doctor doesn't know can hurt you.
4. Ask for information on your physician's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. If your medical professional will not tell you, find another one. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask what procedures are required to prevent infection. Look for a center with a dust-free or sterilized operating room. Ensure that disposable parts are not reused. Firmly insist that your eye is completely decontaminated, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgery to remove the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Beware of ads pushing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as great as a discount rate parachute.
7. Expect to see effectively after LASIK, however don't anticipate to see completely. Each patient gets a somewhat various result. The very best cosmetic surgeon in the world cannot ensure 20/20 vision. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as individual as each patient. Be careful of any doctor who promises 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. You're not buying a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or two, implantable lenses will most likely provide much better vision than LASIK. Think about waiting up until the brand-new lenses are offered. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, don't lose sight of the advantages: for the majority of people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has improved the this content vision of millions of people around the world.